Saturday, September 18, 2010

September 11, 2010

We slept in this morning. My sore throat is getting worse. However, the sun is warm, and it has made the tent toasty and comfortable. The day is beautiful. The lake is beautiful. And we are excited to see the wind surfers doing their thing today! We got to visit with Jay and Rochelle a little bit more. They saved some lettuce to give to Petunia this morning. (This pig is so spoiled!) We met several more campers and wind/kite surfers this morning, including Chris, who was visiting from Colorado. And it is wonderful to see people getting out and enjoying life! We decided to walk down to the lake and beach. I haven't actually been to the beach since I started this journey. The ocean is always a special place for me. It's a place that totally relaxes me. It makes me feel free and relaxed and energized all at the same time! It recharges my battery! We take a lovely walk to the lake. And the surfers are amazing to watch! This sport looks like so much fun! Especially the kite surfing! The wind catches you, and you just go!!! It is really cool to watch.
Petunia is having so much fun on the beach. She is running, rooting in the sand, and being so playful (and I must say pretty cute!) We walk over the dune to the ocean. The wind is so strong and cold here and I wrap myself up as much as I can for warmth.
Since I've known Jason, he's been carrying around this kite and string and just waiting for a chance to fly it. Well, today is his day. He takes the kite out of the package and ties the sting to it. Then, effortlessly the kite is up, flying high in the sky with the surfing kites visible in the background. Jason is so cute, with the smile of an 8 year old permanently on his face the entire time the kite is in the air! It was so fun to watch him enjoying this moment.
At some point, I need to dip my toes into the Pacific Ocean before making the trek across America to the Atlantic Ocean. Jason is hoping that I will do this today. But since I'm a little bit under the weather, and since this is supposed to be a healing journey for me, I think today is not the right time for this act.
We walk back to the campsite and plan to take showers. However, Chris offered to give us a ride back to the 101 since he is on his way on a trip to Whiskey Run Beach to do some surfing. (Ironically, this is the only beach I've ever been to on the Southern Coast prior to this trip. I traveled there when I very first moved to Oregon, 14 years ago. At Vanderbilt, I worked with an anesthesiologist who was from Coos Bay. And since this was one of the only cities in Oregon that I'd heard anything about at that point, I wanted to travel there. Forest was 2 years old. Little, cute, sweet. I have wonderful and vivid memories of Whiskey Run Beach and my little boy that day.) We skipped the showers and piled into Chris's truck. (Thank you Chris for the time saving trip today!! It was so nice to visit with you! I hope you have a great trip with your son!)
Back on the 101, we resume our walk. Our next stop will be Port Orford. Before I joined Jason on this journey, The World newspaper did a story on him and Petunia. At that time, a woman named Renee contacted him to say that when he passes through Port Orford he should contact her and that she might be able to host them. So Jason has been in contact with her as we get closer. She told him that she is happy to host and so that is our plan for the night.
We arrive to their home and are greeted by Renee, some members of her family, and 2 sweet doggies, Eddy Spaghetti and Susie (a dachshund). We went inside are are greeted by BIRDS! Beautiful, friendly, TALKING birds! Renee and her husband, David, do bird rescue! I have never been around birds. They are really beautiful and fun! We were also met with a vegetarian stir fry dinner that Renee prepared for us! It was so good, and we were so hungry! (Thanks, Renee!) The birds shared our noodles with us!
Renee has such a mothering presence, and she gave me the opportunity to release some of the sadness that I carry around with me. I talked with her about my babies and the unbelievable 2 years I've had, and she listened and gave me a big motherly hug when I needed it. It was the first time I've really spoken about them lately. But Forest and Zoe are always on my mind, and not talking about them sort of makes the hurt grow heavier in my heart. So this was a wonderful opportunity to talk and cry and release...

1 comment:

  1. REBECCA AND JASON, WHERE ARE YOU AND HOW'S PETUNIA???? PLEASE UPDATE US.

    ReplyDelete