Tuesday, September 14, 2010

September 9, 2010

We woke up to pouring rain and water in our tent. The RV park has a common use room, so we moved everything in there to dry things out and repack before beginning our walk. They do have nice showers, and I took a nice long shower before packing up. Jason was sweet to completely hand dry and pack the tent. We were making good progress when the lady who runs the RV park stopped by to say that we can't have Petunia (who was just laying on the floor minding her own business, btw) in the common room. And she said "I let you stay last night, but I probably shouldn't have." I asked her why she felt that way, and she said "Well, all pets are supposed to be on a leash." Anyway, she kicked Petunia out which meant that one of us had to be outside with her because she was constantly trying to root up the grass, while the couple running the park kept their eyes on her the entire time. Since Jason was handling the wet tent, I went outside with P. Luckily, the rain was now very light. Unluckily, Petunia was being really difficult. And she refuses to listen to me. She keeps rooting, I keep scolding her, the couple keeps watching us...and finally, I had a breakdown! It was more like a temper tantrum, when I said to her, "Fine!! I'm going to tell your dad!", and I stormed away to the common room. Once inside, I broke into tears and declared "I CANNOT BE THE PIG SITTER ANYMORE!! SHE'S TERRIBLE AND I DON'T LIKE HER ONE BIT!" And this is the first time that I am seriously considering how crazy I must be to have agreed to this trip.
Eventually, I pull myself together and finish getting ready. Jason is frustrated, I am frustrated, but away we go...back across the street to the Mexican restaurant for a breakfast burrito and coffee. There, we decide we will try to have a good day. And by the time we leave, the sun is shining and we are walking down the 101. Jason asked, "Are we there yet?" And I was thinking the same thing...
The first exciting thing that happens today is that an RV pulls over and a family crosses the street to meet us. We are greeted by Margie and Alan and their 3 beautiful children Lizzie, Josh, and Matt. They are interested in our walk and invite us in for lunch. We had a great time getting to know them and their story! They recently made the decision to RV indefinitely. They travel around the country and home school the kids. The kids are so sweet! And Matt even goes outside to pick some fresh blackberries for us to munch on for dessert! Plus, Margie had just made a homemade blackberry pie that was delicious! We had a lovely visit with them, and we look forward to staying in contact!
As our walk continues, so does the beautiful day! We are trying to make it to Langlois, but the sun is starting to set and because I never know what lies ahead, I am starting to get nervous about where we might sleep. We pass a U-pick blueberry farm called "Common Ground Farms". There is a house with the lights on and a phone number on their sign. So I call and ask if they have anywhere on their property where we might camp for the night. I spoke with a sweet woman, named Andrea, who told me that we could camp anywhere we want to in the blueberry fields!! How fun is that?! So we found a nice, open place beside a scarecrow to set up our tent. While setting up, Andrea came to meet us and brought us a thermos of hot water, a variety of hot tea bags, and some homemade blueberry honey! This was, hands down, the BEST honey I have ever tasted in my life! It hit the spot on this chilly night! Outside, the night is perfectly clear! I had forgotten that there are this many stars in the sky!! It actually makes me a little bit dizzy to stare up at them, but I can't stop staring! The sky is breathtaking! And I'm sitting in the middle of 60 year old blueberry bushes and a beautiful farm, drinking yummy hot tea. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment